Blogcritics: news and reviews

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Balls of Fury (2007) Film Review

I grew up playing ping-pong whenever possible, so I had a genuine interest in seeing this flick. I’m also a fan of Christopher Walken, James Hong, Maggie Q, Terry Crews, Robert Patrick, and Thomas Lennon, so that didn’t hurt either. Unfortunately, even with a stacked cast and an interesting plot device, BALLS OF FURY is anything but what its title implies. It’s a dismal, unfunny, lame attempt at a DODGEBALL sequel without any of the commitment or hang-ups–like writing the checks it would take to get Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller back in the mix.

BALLS is directed and co-written by Ben Garant (with Thomas Lennon). Fans of “Reno 911” and “The State” will recognize those names. I’m no fan of “Reno” but “The State” still resonates with me to this day as some of the funniest sketch comedy I’ve ever seen. Knowing their potential, it just makes me shake my head at how incredibly tame and unimaginative the humor is here. I mean, is this really all they could come up with? Are they saving all their best stuff for the DVD? Did the studio meddle and test screen this flick until all the backbone and originality evaporated? There has to be an explanation.

"This movie stinks ... like stale French fries."

Then again, maybe the kids have just outgrown their funny bones? Either way, BALLS OF FURY is nigh unwatchable, and is destined for many a Top 10 Worst Films of 2007 list. I’ve already got it penciled into mine.

ABNB! Rating: 2 out of 5 (An unfortunate mess. Wasted potential all around.)
For More Info: IMDb / Rotten Tomatoes / Wikipedia / Official Site



No comments:


[ About ABNB! | Privacy Policy ]


ABNB! | The Online Guy Movie Mecca :: Reviews, Articles, News, Interviews, Contests, Profiles, Top 10 Lists, Trailers...
©2008 ABNB! Online. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, BROTHER.